Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Amazon S3

Amazon recently announced their S3 web service. S3 stands for "Simple Storage Service", and enables a very cost-effective way to store large amounts of data. The cost structure is pretty simple: $0.15 per GB of storage used, plus $0.20 per GB transferred. I currently have about 6GB of photos on my HD, making the total cost to back it up a meager $1.20 to upload the data, plus $0.90 each month thereafter. That is dirt cheap (compared to other online storage sites).

I plan to write a little application to do this, and I'll be happy to share it with anybody who wants to use S3 for storage.

2 comments:

Eric Schulz said...

Sounds great! I can't wait to get a copy and get my photos stored there.

Eric Schulz said...

Be sure and check out other web service API's at Programmable Web. You might find another cool idea.