Friday, August 06, 2004

My Media Center PC - Part Deux

Well, the DVI-HDTV converter finally arrived. It sucks. The noise still exists (although to a lesser extent) and the only usable resolution I can display on my TV is 720 by 480. I think this is because my TV is older, and doesn't support a 720p input.

Now this really, really sucks. I have spent too much cash on this system for the results I'm getting. My next step is to go get another video card and hope that its S-Video output is cleaner. If it is, and it's usable, I'll keep it and try to return the PowerColor video card and the DVI-HDTV converter. Ideally, I'd like to get myself a Samsung DLP TV like this one, which has a DVI and VGA input, and supports a much better resolution than my current TV. Unfortunately, I am not about to shell out nearly $4k, just so I can have a better Media Center experience.

At least at the current resolution, it makes for decent TV viewing, and I can take advantage of MCE's PVR functionality. However, I was hoping to do a small amount of gaming on the system, and that does not seem possible. The games I've tried to play thus far automatically adjust the system resolution into a state that is not compatible with my TV. Damn.

FS: One Toshiba 50" TV.
WTB: One Samsung DLP TV.


No comments: