Friday, November 26, 2004

Investment update

Several posts ago, I told you about my Freetrade investment account. I'm happy to report that I've officially made my first trades using this account. The transactions went very smoothly. On Wednesday, I bought several shares in 3 different small-cap companies. At closing of the markets on Friday, my investments were up 4.1% on average, verses a relatively flat S&P 500 during the same time period. Of course, that's less than two days of trading (the markets were closed on Thursday for Thanksgiving, and closed early on Friday), and with small-caps, the prices will surely fluctuate 4% quite frequently. I'm in these for the long haul, so I'm not concerned about their immediate performance, but being in the black is always nice.

It would be in my better interest not to scrutinize these investments so closely - but for now I'll keep a close eye on them. Once the investing novelty wears off again, I'll let them ride and only check on their performance occasionally.

No comments: